In order to have success in our Semi Independent Living program, a step was added to ensure the success of clients going to program meet their goals. This step is called the Young Adult Program.
The Young Adult Program allows for more freedoms, and increased expectations, to see if a client can succeed in our SIL program. A sample of the increased expectations include:
- Sharing in the preparation and cooking responsibilities
- Meal planning
- The purchase of groceries while working within a weekly budget
- Cleaning duties within the residence
- Completing 1.5 hours of job search if not in school
- Resume/Cover letter preparation
- Attending AADAC (Alberta Alcohol Drug Abuse Commission)
This program ensures the success of clients and continues with living skills that are required to succeed with our SIL program and as a productive member of society. The Elk Island Child and Youth Ranch Treatment Team provides support to clients in this program 24 hours a day, and uses community partners to ensure that all the needs of clients are met while transitioning from program to program.
Our staff assist with every step of the clients endeavors, be it education, AISH or PDD related, or joining the work force. Clients in this program continue to have the full support of our on-site psychologist.